Teacher Retirement System of Texas Chief Audit Executive in Austin, Texas
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is currently seeking a highly motivated, intellectually curious, quality-focused individual to serve as our Chief Audit Executive. The ideal candidate will actively partner with senior management in monitoring TRS' ethical and operational environment and serve as an independent and objective professional in assessing the results of management's work on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
The Chief Audit Executive performs highly advanced (senior-level) executive management work. Work involves providing operational direction and oversight to the agency's audit functions, developing and implementing strategies for the development of the Annual Audit Plan, and performing advanced and managerial internal auditing work. Participates as a strategic partner with agency leadership and serves as a member of the Executive Council (EC). Works under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for initiative and independent judgment. Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of others. This position reports to the Board of Trustees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs and oversees audit staff in planning, organizing, conducting and monitoring overall internal audit operations.
- Provides executive direction and oversight in planning and executing the agency's internal audit operations.
- Advises the Executive Director by providing direction and oversight of the audit operations of the agency.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to audit directors and managers in the recruitment and development of a diverse, high performing, and customer-service oriented work force.
- Maintains a high commitment to ethical management and business practices free of conflicts of interest.
- Promotes and upholds the agency core values of customer satisfaction, collaboration/teamwork, accountability, respect, ethics, excellence, and employee fulfillment.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates staff; takes corrective actions to address performance problems.
- Counsels and guides staff to ensure that approved audit objectives are met and that adequate coverage is achieved.
- Participates as a member of the agency's Executive Council in managing the strategic direction of the agency, including the development, revision and implementation of the TRS Strategic Plan, laws and rules, policies, legislative appropriation requests (LAR), and biennial and annual budgets.
- Directs and oversees the development of the Annual Audit Plan and the Internal Audit Annual Report.
- Directs the identification and evaluation of risk areas for the development of the Annual Audit Plan, and coordinates review and approval with the Audit Committee.
- Directs the preparation and review of Audit Committee quarterly meeting materials.
- Directs the performance of audit procedures, including identifying and defining issues and recommendations, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing relevant information, evaluating evidence, documenting business processes and procedures, and completing audit documentation.
- Communicates the results of audits to management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Trustees.
- Represents TRS Internal Audit and management in Board meetings and with oversight agencies and other external organizations.
Internal Auditing and Management
- Directs and oversees the development of requests for contracted services for the Internal Audit Department, and monitors the contracted services until services are completed.
- Researches audit tools and leading audit practices.
- Directs and oversees complex performance, financial, and compliance audit projects.
- Directs and oversees the review and analysis of business processes.
- Ensures conformance with acceptable quality control standards through the review of work products of individual audit projects.
- Reviews and approves the audit objectives, scope, and audit programs for assigned audit projects.
- Performs related work as assigned. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible full-time experience as an auditor.
- Five (5) years of experience leading or managing professional audit staff.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Master's degree in business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- Experience in public sector auditing, and in managing and conducting audits in Information Systems, Investments, Financial Services, Benefit Plans, and/or Healthcare.
- Certified as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Certified as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
- Certified as a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA).
Veterans / Military Crosswalk:
TRS is committed to maintaining a veteran-friendly workplace and attracting, developing and retaining military service members as employees. To assist in determining whether your military experience may relate to the minimum qualifications for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the armed forces have been assigned to each state classification title where applicable.
Depending upon actual duties, the following fields may pertain to the minimum qualifications of this position. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position are highly encouraged to apply.
U.S. Army Occupational Codes – Enlisted: No military equivalent. Officer: 00B U.S. Navy Ratings and Designators – Enlisted: No military equivalent. Officer: 111X - 114X, 611X - 612X, 621X, 631X, 641X, 648X. U.S. Coast Guard Ratings – Enlisted: No military equivalent. Officer: 01, MGT10, MGT13 - MGT15. U.S. Marine Corps Occupational Fields – Enlisted: No military equivalent. Officer: 8003, 8040 - 8042. U.S. Air Force Specialty Codes – Enlisted: No military equivalent. Officer: 10C0, 20C0, 30C0, 40C0, 90G0, 91C0, 91W0, 97E1.
Please contact the TRS Human Resources Department or the TRS Veterans Liaison with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be found at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- internal auditing principles and practices, management principles and preferred business practices;
- the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors; and of Government Auditing Standards;
- Texas state government program policies, procedures, regulations, and laws;
- agency programs, policies, and procedures; and
- information technology terminology, concepts, and practices.
- conducting quality control reviews of audit work products;
- collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems, and drawing logical conclusions;
- Planning, project management, and maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines;
- negotiating issues and resolving problems;
- using a computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries, and analyses;
- effective verbal and written communications, including interpersonal and active listening skills; and
- presenting findings and recommendations in a clear, concise manner.
- establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- work effectively in a professional team environment.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
- the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Workforce Expectations Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- work extended hours as necessary;
- travel occasionally for work assignments and trainings;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency's internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: INTERNAL AUDIT
Job Number: 18-000110
Closing: 6/1/2018 6:00 PM Central
Agency: Teacher Retirement System of Texas
Address: 1000 Red River Street Austin, Texas, 78701