USAA Linux Systems Engineer in San Antonio, Texas
Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Linux Systems Engineer for our San Antonio, TX facility.
Independently plans installs, integrates and validates systems software and hardware solutions. Manages technical change implementation across environments. Acquires and applies broad knowledge of the business, its products, and processes. Resolves issues of and navigates obstacles to deliver work product. Serves as a resource to less experienced team members on escalated issues of a routine nature. Participates in the evaluation, development, implementation, integration and administration of internal and external business solutions that meet customer needs.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 3,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
USAA Information Technology: A Realistic Preview
- Consistently applies learned processes, procedures and workflows to include however not limited to the software and/or hardware environments in one domain.
- Generates new solutions leveraging competent skills and knowledge. Solve complex infrastructure and application problems independently.
- Considered fully qualified in one domain. May serve as a mentor to junior team members.
- May be a subject matter expert in one or more specializations within a domain.
- Utilizes troubleshooting techniques to determine problem root cause and apply knowledge of operational infrastructure to determine business impact.
- Perform system monitoring, daily check, diagnostic and corrective action, complex root cause analysis and implement corrective measures to prevent future service interruptions.
- Configures, maintains and monitors systems infrastructure to enhance availability, improve performance, and ensure adequate capacity.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 4 or more relevant business support and/or general information technology support experience.
- Proficient knowledge of systems administration and/or systems programming skills, Websphere, Unix, Windows Server, Desktop OS internals or Mainframe domains.
- 4+ years of Red Hat Linux Operating System experience (RHEL Versions 5, 6, and 7) including Leadership and Collaboration with technical teams in a large challenging environment
- 4+ years of experience with SELinux
- 4+ years of experience with physical hardware / servers
- Experience with Configuration Management, and System Monitoring Tools (e.g. Satellite, Puppet, Sensu, HPOM, HPSA)
- Experience with Containers (e.g. Docker)
- Experience / Knowledge using Kubernetes for managing containerized applications in a clustered environment
- Familiar with Continuous Delivery Principals and Process
- Experience / Knowledge with Cloud Infrastructure / Platform Technologies (e.g. PaaS, IaaS)
USAA's most valuable resource is our 30,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas.
Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning and continuing education. We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Linux Systems Engineer TX-San Antonio R0016948